I’m currently working on a pair of fingerless gloves, which are taking much loner than I expected, mostly due to the fact that I’m designing the pattern by myself, and have so far, failed the last 2 attempts. Hopefully, the third time will be a charm. I am using a cowl pattern I found as my inspiration…

I’m using the same stich for my fingerless gloves, but obviously the pattern will be very different. For Christmas, my boyfriends sister gave me the most beautiful blue yarn, of which the exact colour and brand escapes me. This was perfect, because I have the Berroco Vintage DK yarn in Cracked Pepper, so I’m using the two colours in this pattern to make it somewhat more visually interesting.

Unfortunately, I haven’t been recording my pattern, so completing the second glove will be a wonderful challenge! But hey, who doesn’t love a challenge, eh?

Advertisements

Wow! You never realize how much of your life you spend working until you move to a full-time position. Not to complain, not only am I happy about the promotion, but my bank account and local yarn stores are happy too. Over the christmas break I embarked on two new patterns. The first, a wrap around shawl. The second, fingerless gloves, the pattern which, I am making up as I go. But more of that later.

The shawl is another Japanese pattern. I love these patterns. They’re to the point, and because they’re drawn, and not written, you don’t have to read 300 lines of “repeat row 1”.  This pattern takes forever!  I’m nowhere near 1/3 of the way complete, and I’ve been working on it pretty regularly. But it will be well worth it in the end. At least, the pictures look promising.

Now, I have to admit, I actually started the shawl last June. But three  rows into it, and my demon cat decided one day while I was out of the house, that my ball of yarn (Palette wool from Knit Picks in Navy) was too round and needed to be stretched out. I came home from work and walked into a murder scene. It was literally like a horror movie. The yarn ran a trail from the bottom of the stairs, up to the top, around the kitchen table three or four times, down the hall, into my bedroom and there, on my bed, in the messiest lump of navy merino yarn I have ever seen, was the cat, curled up and fast asleep. I was so angry and after trying for hours to untangle the mess, I felt so defeated that I put the shawl away until Christmas.

Each row takes anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes to complete. It wouldn’t take so long except that the way in which the yarn was spun, causes for the hook to easily slip through the  yarn, separating it, so i have to take extra care not to do that.

This is only 26 of 275 rows completed

Each row takes anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes to complete. It wouldn’t take so long except that the way in which the yarn was spun, causes for the hook to easily slip through the  yarn, separating it, so i have to take extra care not to do that. I’m hoping to have this done by April so that I can send out to my mother in time for mother’s day.

It seems like everyone around me is having, or has had a baby in the last few months, so that means it’s double time on the baby patterns. I have just finished a really cute hat for my friends niece. I was torn between a cutesie baby hat such as this pattern on I found on Ravelry:

Spring time Beanie

Or an earflap hat pattern that I created which was a little more bold, but just as cute. The bold earflap hat won, and I couldn’t be more happy with the results! Here is the beautiful baby wearing her awesome new hat.

Baby K. - Punk rocker in the Making

She's too tired for rockin' out

This pattern was a combination of two patterns that I found on Ravelry. The majority of the pattern comes from this Ravelry site. The second portion of the pattern, or the mohawk, came from this pattern. I just adjusted the pattern to fit the hat.

Although I am a huge believer of eco friendly, real wool, and purchasing yarn from a local yarn supply store, I thought it would be best for both baby and mommy to make this out of synthetic yarn. I didn’t want it to be too hard on the baby’s skin, and I wanted it to be easy to wash for mom. I used the softest yarn I could find: Bernat Satin in Ebony and Lion Brand Baby Soft in Pink Lemonade.

I know, I know. Most people would never put black on a baby, but you can’t have punk rocker without the rebelious black and hot hot pink hues! I think it suits her!

Oh! and nd a HUGE tank you to my friend T. (who just so happens to be Baby K.’s aunt) for the awesome photos!

Well, the big 75th anniversary party is over, and the corsages were a hit! I ended up using a different pattern than the rose pattern I spent weeks searching for(see below blog). It took way too long to make, and, as I quickly realized, takes a lacing hook and yarn. So  a simple shell pattern which was then rolled up into a flower shape had to do. Here are the results:

This is one that i made from strips of jersey cloth while I gave my cramping hands a break from crocheting.

Most of these corsages ended up in everyone’s hair! We were lucky enough to have some student hairdressers and make-up artists volunteer their time to “vintage” up our looks for the big party, and when the corsages came out, everyone, including the hairdressers, wanted them up in their hair….I sense an etsy idea brewing!